Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ministry After An Unsuccessful Call, Part 5

I am now going to address the search process in finding a new call. I think most of what I will write can apply to anyone searching for a call. However, my particular experience this time around has clarified a few things for me, and I hope they will be helpful for anyone seeking a new call.

What kind of church do you look for? First, cast as wide a net as possible. I looked in every state. Maybe for some that is not possible, but if it is at all possible, do it! In this market it's very hard to find a new call, at least if your last one ended badly.

Look at every size of church, too. You may need to serve a church part-time and do something else at the same time (but even with a part time call you can still get those vital benefits for your family, assuming you have one). Or look for a yoked call. But don't automatically think that a church of under 100 members cannot afford a full time pastor. Many cannot, of course, but some can. If you see a church you think may be a match, contact their PNC. If you progress in your discussions, you may discover that the church has a lot of financial resources. I interviewed with three very small congregations that had wisely saved and invested their resources over time and could support a full time pastor with a family. But I would never have found that out if I had simply looked at their CIF and not dug further.

Finances are not everything by a long shot. Consider theological and social compatibility. Prepare to have some of your expectations surprised. Here I am, a native of New York City, serving in a small town in the Deep South ... and it feels like a great fit! Some churches are just good places, and some are just not good places, wherever they might be located.

(to be continued)

No comments: