Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ministry After an Unsuccessful Call, Part 3

If you feel your call to ministry is affirmed by God even after an unsuccessful call, it is still important to reflect upon what happened and what lessons can be drawn from the negative experience. For me, as I sank deeper into the morass of my last call (but before I resigned/was fired), I came to realize that dealing with conflict was one of my biggest weaknesses. I don't like conflict and prefer to wait it out by ignoring it. I especially hate it if I am part of the conflict in some way. But hating it doesn't make it go away. Conflict is inevitable in relationships, including the pastoral relationship. Many churches are in conflict today for a variety of reasons.

So, I will strive for opportunities to learn about ministering to congregations that experience conflict. I don't perceive a lot of conflict in my current call, but appropriate continuing education (such as interim pastor training, which many experienced pastors have recommended to me as being helpful in installed positions, as well) can still strengthen me as a pastor to this congregation and, by God's grace, in all areas of ministry and life.

Having said that, I want to make an important distinction. While my experience at my last call pointed to my need for growth in the area of dealing with conflict (or, even better, transcending conflict), I do not believe that my call would have succeeded even with that extra preparation. Something very disturbing to me was that after I had taken some helpful continuing education (basically career counseling and discernment), and when things seemed to be getting better at the church (rising worship attendance; more involvement by families with young children in the life of the church; even a stabilizing financial situation), THAT is when the boom came down on me. I think the accouncement that we were expecting our third child had something to do with that as well.

Sometimes, my friends, you can try to improve your ministry skills until the cows come home, but if you do not have a congregation that is willing to consider how THEY can change and grow, it really won't matter. And as far as I am concerned, that is part of what happened in my last call. Knowing when to shake the dust from your feet while still acknowledging your own shortcomings is an important skill in ministry.

No comments: